Surfing has numerous fitness benefits
Want to detox but need inspiration? The exercise experts at Technogym have you covered
Thoughts inevitably turn to what we’re eating at a time of year when many UAE residents will be fasting – so what better time to give your body a service with a detox plan?
A detox plan is not about starving yourself; it’s about eating the right food that nourishes and cleanses the body. Changing your diet habits for a little while can also help shift some of your bad eating behaviours.
It’s normal that during the initial phase of a detox, you feel tired and weak, because your body is trying to flush out all of the toxins.
Try to avoid wheat (gluten), dairy, sugar and alcohol for next 30 days, as well all legumes, tomatoes, peanuts, soybeans, corn and corn products, and yeast. You should also try to reduce your intake of red meat and, when you do eat it, focus on good-quality, grass-fed organic beef. Eggs are allowed only once or twice a week.
Start your day hydrated. A large glass of room-temperature water with lemon is a great solution, or drink celery and cucumber juice.
- Eggs, maximum two times per week
- Organic oats cooked with almond milk or coconut milk
- Paleo pancakes (made without grains or animal milk) with blueberries and strawberries
Snacks (between main meals)
- Vegetables: carrots sticks, celery, cucumber
- Nuts: almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecans
- Fruit: blueberries, grapefruit, green apples, oranges, strawberries, blackberries, peaches, pomegranate, plums, pineapples
- Unlimited amount of green veggies: spinach, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts, kale, garlic) with free-range or organic chicken (to avoid chemicals, hormones, antibiotics)
- Beetroot, quinoa, avocado with salmon (preferably organic)
- Buckwheat noodles with sea bream or sea bass (add aubergine, bell pepper)
- Sweet potato, carrots or pumpkin with cod, mixed with onion, mushrooms, cauliflower
Other nutrition tips
- During your detox, bone broth is also highly recommended – it can can boost your immune system and repair your gut health
- Chew your food properly to release digestive enzymes
In the Technogym family, we focus on seven primal movements, around which we have designed a training programme.
- A1: Bench press, four to six reps, 90 seconds rest
- A2: Back squats (example), four to six reps, 90 seconds rest
- B1: Seated row, six to eight reps, 75 seconds rest
- B2: Split squats (example), six to eight reps (each leg), 75 seconds rest
- C1: Romanian deadlift (example), 10 to 12 reps, 60 seconds rest
- C2: Torsonator twist (example), 10 to 12 reps (each side), 60 seconds rest
- C3: Skill Mill (example), 60 seconds run, 60 seconds rest
- A1: Supinated pull-ups (example), four to six reps, 90 seconds rest
- A2: Goblet squats (example), four to six reps, 90 seconds rest
- B1: Incline dumbbell press (example) six to eight reps, 75 seconds rest
- B2: Snatch grip deadlift, six to eight reps, 75 seconds rest
- C1: Dips (example), 10 to 12 reps, 60 seconds rest
- C2: Split squats, front foot elevated, 10 to 12 reps each leg, 60 seconds rest
- C3: Skipping rope, 60 seconds, 60 seconds rest
- A1: Military press (example), four to six repetitions, 90 seconds rest
- A2: Conventional deadlift, four to six reps, 90 seconds rest
- B1: Lat pulldown (example), six to eight reps, 75 seconds rest
- B2: Leg press (example), six to eight reps, 75 seconds rest
- C1: Russian twist (example), 10 to 12 reps (each side), 60 seconds rest
- C2: Cyclist squats (example), 10 to 12 reps, 60 seconds rest
- C3: Skill Mill low push, 60 seconds, 60 seconds rest
Each week, aim to either decrease resting periods, increase number of repetitions or increase weight by 2% to 4%. Technogym recommends using its mywellness app (pictured below).
Alongside physical fitness and nutrition, the mind is equally important. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Having a morning and evening routine is helpful, to plan your day ahead and handle stress much better. An evening routine will help you to sleep better and recover more effectively. Meditation can also be a great aid.
The writer is a master trainer at Technogym
No regular gym? No problem. Here are the best ways to keep in shape while on the move
How to take your first steps into the increasingly popular world of long-distance cycling