Surfing has numerous fitness benefits
A helpful guide to keep you on track to reach your fitness goals
Ramadan comes every year with a range of festive activities, and whether its iftar feasting, late-night shopping or sleepless nights with family and friends, those activities usually result in more food consumption and a general relaxation of your fitness routine.
Studies actually show that fasting, when done correctly, improves insulin sensitivity, reduces the risk of disease and supports weight loss. Hence the importance of staying healthy and active.
Maintaining an active lifestyle doesn’t necessarily mean hitting the gym daily, but rather be aware of the small activities throughout the day that can make a difference. You don’t have to be an athlete to move and get motivated. You can use the Apple Watch Series 4 to be your ultimate fitness companion to keep track of all your efforts and movements. Whether you’re getting groceries or participating in a decathlon, your device tracks your movements and will inform you accordingly.
The team at Apple has put together a guide with tips to keep you energised and fit and to encourage you to achieve new milestones while not missing anything out there.
For those who want to track their daily activities
During Ramadan, you will need all your energy to stay focused, in control and to eliminate bad habits.
- At work or at home, do quick, gentle stretching to avoid extreme fatigue during the day. The Apple Watch Series 4 aims to be your active partner and offer features that will remind you to take a breath, walk or simply stand up if you’ve been inactive for too long. If you want to make it more fun, download Wakeout from the App Store to access more than 600 fun exercises you can do wherever and whenever.
- While enjoying some dreamy Ramadan night markets or just shopping in malls, the activity app in your Apple Watch will count your total steps, distance and calories burnt. Make it a regular practice during the week and track your progress. It can only motivate you to score more every day — you’d be surprise by the results.
- Spend that extra time you have until iftar to refocus on yourself and relieve accumulated stress with meditation. We all know how difficult it can be to concentrate on an empty stomach but as your body needs to remain active, so does your brain. The yoga workout in the Apple Watch can trace all types of yoga sessions, from restorative to power vinyasa flow. You might also want to download the Calm app as your go-to solution for meditation and mindfulness. Listen to stories, music or instructions to relax from the convenience of your AirPods and free yourself for mindful movements.
For those who want to monitor their workouts
In addition to keeping track of your daily activities, your Apple Watch will help you monitor your workouts.
- Fasting is not an excuse to become a couch potato or to give up on your training. Instead, adapt your workout routine accordingly. Exercise one hour before iftar rather than in the morning to avoid dehydration and a lack of energy during the day. It’s also a good way to distract your mind until you break your fast, as the last hours are known to be the most difficult.
- Given the very hot weather in Dubai at this period, you might want to consider training indoor. Dubai Sports World offers more than 25,000m² of air-conditioned space for sports and fitness classes, whether you’d like to get fit, play for fun or play to win. Your Apple Watch will automatically detect most popular sports while you move, including running, cycling, swimming and many more, and thus alert you to start the dedicated workout app to screen your efforts.
- Always listen to your body! Avoid long periods of cardio if you feel dehydrated. Set up clear targets and map your run thanks to the Pace alert on your wrist that will notify you if you are behind or ahead of your objective. Don’t overdo it, as your recovery time may suffer. Alternatively, use the Cadence feature, which helps avoid injuries by sending you information about your steps per minute, allowing you to adjust your running technique.
- Use GymKit workout equipment with your Apple Watch to experience a complete digital fitness solution. GymKit offers two-way synchronisation between your watch and gym equipment for more accurate distance, pace and energy burn metrics such as speed, calories and heart rate.
No regular gym? No problem. Here are the best ways to keep in shape while on the move
How to take your first steps into the increasingly popular world of long-distance cycling